As a Legal Services Officer specializing in Courts, you will play a critical role in facilitating the administration of justice by providing legal support and services within the court system. You will work closely with judges, legal professionals, and court staff to ensure that legal proceedings are conducted smoothly and in accordance with the law. Your responsibilities will include researching and analyzing legal issues, preparing court documents, and assisting in the management of cases.
- Location: Calgary, AB
- Salary: 47,500 annually / 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment Permanent employment: Full time Day
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits
- Vacancies 1
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
- or equivalent experience
Work site environment
- Air conditioned
- Urban area
- Legal Research: Conduct legal research to support judges and legal professionals in understanding relevant laws, statutes, regulations, and case precedents.
- Document Preparation: Draft and review court documents, including pleadings, motions, orders, affidavits, and legal memoranda.
- Case Management: Assist in managing court cases by organizing and maintaining case files, scheduling hearings, and coordinating with parties involved.
- Communication: Liaise with judges, attorneys, court personnel, and other stakeholders to communicate case updates, scheduling changes, and legal decisions.
- Court Proceedings: Attend court proceedings, hearings, and trials to provide legal assistance, take notes, and facilitate the smooth progression of proceedings.
- Legal Analysis: Analyze complex legal issues, review evidence, and present findings to support decision-making in court cases.
- Legal Support: Provide administrative and legal support to judges and legal professionals as required, including conducting legal research and drafting legal opinions.
- Legal Compliance: Ensure all court activities are conducted in compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and ethical standards.
- Records Management: Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of court proceedings, judgments, and legal documents.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law or a related field; Juris Doctor (JD) preferred.
- Admission to the bar association in the relevant jurisdiction.
- Previous experience working in a legal capacity, particularly in court settings, is advantageous.
- Strong knowledge of legal research methods and resources.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and able to work effectively under pressure.
- Proficiency in legal software and research tools.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and integrity.
- Legal Research
- Document Drafting
- Case Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
- Time Management
- Legal Compliance
- Records Management
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Opportunity to work in a professional legal environment.
- Contribution to the administration of justice and legal proceedings.
- Professional development and growth potential within the legal field.
- Explain rights and obligations to defendants
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- MS Excel
- MS Outlook
- MS Office
- Provincial and Territorial Court
Security and safety
- Criminal record check
- Driving record check (abstract)
- Valid driver’s licence
- Own transportation
- Public transportation is available
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Tight deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Team player
- Client focus
- Health care plan
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Include this reference number in your application
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Job reference number
- Cover letter
- Copy of portfolio or relevant work examples
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Legal services officer – courts:
1: What does a Legal Services Officer do in the courts?
A Legal Services Officer in the courts provides essential legal support to judges, attorneys, and court personnel. They assist in drafting legal documents, conducting legal research, managing case files, and ensuring that court proceedings run smoothly and in compliance with the law.
2: What qualifications are required to become a Legal Services Officer in the courts?
To become a Legal Services Officer in the courts, you typically need a Bachelor’s degree in Law or a related field. Some positions may require a Juris Doctor (JD) degree. Additionally, you must be admitted to the bar association in the relevant jurisdiction.
3: What are the key responsibilities of a Legal Services Officer in the courts?
Legal Services Officers in the courts are responsible for legal research, drafting court documents, managing case files, assisting in scheduling and coordinating hearings, attending court proceedings, and providing general legal support to judges and legal professionals.
4: What skills are important for a Legal Services Officer in the courts?
Important skills for a Legal Services Officer include strong legal research skills, effective communication, attention to detail, analytical thinking, time management, and proficiency in legal software and research tools.
5: What kind of cases does a Legal Services Officer handle?
A Legal Services Officer in the courts may handle a wide range of cases, including civil, criminal, family, and administrative matters. They support judges and legal professionals in various legal proceedings and research.
6: Is experience in a legal role necessary for this position?
While previous experience in a legal role is beneficial, it may not always be required. Some positions offer on-the-job training and opportunities for growth within the legal field.
7: What are the benefits of working as a Legal Services Officer in the courts?
Benefits of working as a Legal Services Officer in the courts include competitive salary and benefits, the opportunity to contribute to the administration of justice, professional development, and the satisfaction of being a part of a critical legal process.
8: How does a Legal Services Officer contribute to the court system?
Legal Services Officers play a vital role in the court system by providing essential legal support. They help ensure that court proceedings are well-prepared, organized, and conducted in compliance with legal requirements.
9: Can a Legal Services Officer interact with judges and attorneys directly?
Yes, Legal Services Officers often interact directly with judges, attorneys, court personnel, and other stakeholders. Effective communication is crucial for facilitating the smooth flow of legal proceedings.
10: What opportunities for career advancement are available for a Legal Services Officer in the courts?
A Legal Services Officer can advance in their career by gaining experience, demonstrating strong legal skills, and pursuing further education or specialization. They may progress to more senior legal roles within the court system or in private practice.