We are seeking a dedicated and detail-oriented Light Duty Cleaner to join our team. The successful candidate will play a vital role in maintaining the cleanliness and tidiness of our facilities, ensuring a comfortable and welcoming environment for employees, customers, and visitors.
- Location: Haines Junction, YT
- Salary: 17.00 hourly / 35 to 70 hours per week
- Terms of employment Permanent employment: Full time Day, Evening, Night, Weekend, Overtime, On Call
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies 2
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
7 months to less than 1 year
- Staff accommodation available
- Apartment/condominium complex
- Office building
- Cleaning service company
- Remote location
- Various locations
- Commercial building
- Private residence
- Recreational facility/institution
- Health care institution, facility or clinic
- School or educational institution/establishment
- Perform general cleaning tasks, including dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, and mopping floors.
- Empty trash bins and replace liners.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms, replenishing supplies as needed.
- Wipe down surfaces, countertops, and windows.
- Spot clean spills and stains using appropriate cleaning agents.
- Ensure that cleaning supplies are properly stored and organized.
- Report any maintenance issues or repairs needed.
- Assist with setting up meeting rooms and event spaces as required.
- Follow established cleaning protocols and safety guidelines.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure efficient cleaning operations.
- Maintain a positive and professional demeanor while interacting with colleagues and clients.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Previous cleaning experience is an asset, but not mandatory.
- Strong attention to detail and thoroughness.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to follow cleaning procedures and protocols.
- Physical stamina to perform cleaning tasks, including bending, lifting, and standing for extended periods.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Sweep, mop, wash and polish floors
- Dust furniture
- Vacuum carpeting, area rugs, draperies and upholstered furniture
- Make beds and change sheets
- Distribute clean towels and toiletries
- Clean, disinfect and polish kitchen and bathroom fixtures and appliances
- Disinfect operating rooms and other areas
- Clean and disinfect elevators
- Handle and report lost and found items
- Pick up debris and empty trash containers
- Wash windows, walls and ceilings
- Clean changing rooms and showers
- Clean and disinfect bathrooms and fixtures
- Wax and polish floors
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) Certificate
Security and safety
- Criminal record check
- Airport security clearance
- Driver’s validity licence check
- Driving record check (abstract)
- Vehicle supplied by employer
- Valid driver’s licence
- Public transportation is not available
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Tight deadlines
- Repetitive tasks
- Physically demanding
- Attention to detail
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Light duty cleaner:
1: What is a light duty cleaner?
A light duty cleaner is a professional responsible for performing cleaning tasks in various settings, such as offices, retail spaces, schools, and other public areas. They focus on maintaining cleanliness and tidiness in these spaces to provide a pleasant environment for employees, customers, and visitors.
2: What are the typical duties of a light duty cleaner?
Light duty cleaners perform a range of tasks, including:
- Dusting surfaces and furniture
- Vacuuming and sweeping floors
- Emptying trash bins and replacing liners
- Cleaning windows and glass surfaces
- Wiping down countertops and surfaces
- Sanitizing restrooms and replenishing supplies
- Spot cleaning spills and stains
- Reporting any maintenance issues or needed repairs
3: What skills are important for a light duty cleaner?
Effective communication, attention to detail, and time management skills are essential for a light duty cleaner. They should be able to follow cleaning protocols, use cleaning equipment safely, and work efficiently to meet cleaning standards and deadlines.
4: Is prior cleaning experience required for this role?
While prior cleaning experience can be beneficial, many employers provide on-the-job training for light duty cleaners. This role is often considered an entry-level position, making it suitable for individuals new to the workforce or seeking a career change.
5: What is the work environment like for a light duty cleaner?
Light duty cleaners work in various environments, including office buildings, retail stores, educational institutions, and healthcare facilities. They may work alone or as part of a cleaning team, often during non-business hours to minimize disruption to daily operations.
6: Are there any specific qualifications needed to become a light duty cleaner?
Formal education is not typically required for this role. However, having a high school diploma or equivalent can be advantageous. Employers usually value reliability, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn and follow cleaning procedures.
7: How physically demanding is the job of a light duty cleaner? T
he job can be physically demanding as it involves standing, bending, lifting, and moving cleaning equipment and supplies. Light duty cleaners should have the physical stamina to perform these tasks comfortably.
8: What are the opportunities for career advancement in this field?
Starting as a light duty cleaner can lead to various opportunities within the cleaning industry. With experience and additional training, cleaners can progress to roles like supervisor, team lead, or even move into specialized cleaning roles in healthcare or industrial settings.
9: How important is attention to detail in this role?
Attention to detail is crucial for a light duty cleaner. The ability to notice and address even minor messes or areas that need cleaning ensures that the environment remains tidy and well-maintained.
10: What personal qualities are beneficial for a light duty cleaner?
Being thorough, dependable, and having a positive attitude are important qualities for a light duty cleaner. They should take pride in their work and strive to create a clean and welcoming environment for everyone who uses the space.
11: Is this a temporary or long-term career option?
A career as a light duty cleaner can be both temporary and long-term, depending on an individual’s goals and aspirations. It can serve as a stepping stone to other opportunities within the cleaning industry or other fields.
12: How can I excel as a light duty cleaner?
To excel in this role, focus on attention to detail, thoroughness, and reliability. Communicate effectively with your team and supervisors, follow established cleaning protocols, and consistently deliver high-quality cleaning services.