How to make OFE NSALA / White soup
OFE NSALA, also known as White soup, is a traditional Nigerian delicacy that originates from the eastern part of Nigeria. This soup has a unique taste that sets it apart from other soups in Nigeria. It is made with salt and pepper mixed with fish or meat stock.
- 750g goat meat
- Handful of stock fish flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon seasoning cube
- 2 dried cat Fish (washed and deboned)
- 100g Yam
- Yellow pepper
- Ogiri Okpie
- Uda pepper/grains of Selim
- Oziza seeds
- Extra beef seasoning and pinch of salt to adjust seasoning
- Vegetable: basil. Use utazi if available
- Add goat meat, stock fish, beef seasoning and salt to a wide pot. Add water, cover to cook.
- Cook for about 25 minutes until meat is almost fully done.
- While meat is cooking, Peel and cut yam into cubes.
- Blend yellow pepper with Ogiri Okpie, Uda, Ehuru and Oziza seeds.
- Check on the meat, add dried fish, yam and more water.
- Add uyayak, cover to cook for about 10 minutes until yam is soft.
- Remove the yam, pound or blend with water.
- Remove the uyayak, add crayfish, blended pepper and spices.
- Add the pounded yam.
- Cover and allow to cook for about 8 minutes on low heat.
- Open pot, stir, add the vegetable and cook for about 1 minute.
- Enjoy with pounded yam, fufu or by itself.