No fewer than 6,000 structures may be demolished in the Federal Capital Territory by the federal government.
This is just as the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, had also vowed that illegal structures in green areas of Abuja would be demolished.
According to the FCTA, 6,000 buildings had been mapped out in their last survey for demolition, and more might still be affected.
IDOMA VOICE recalls that during his first press conference, the Minister of the FCT, Nyesom Wike, on Monday, August 21, said there is a need to restore the master plan of Abuja, and there would be no room for any form of distortion.
Wike said: “We will take back our land and give to those who want to develop, and you must sign that you must develop at so and so time.’’
On the demolition of illegal structures, the director of the FCTA Department of Development Control Director, Muktar Galadima, said: “We would find time to go back and conduct a new survey.
As of February 2022, 6,000 abandoned houses were identified.” As reported by Punch, at least 30 areas in the FCT might be affected by the demolition of illegal structures.
Findings by this newspaper have indicated that the slums that might be affected by the urban renewal programme would include Apo Mechanic Village, Byanzhin, Dawaki, Dei Dei, Durumi, Dutse, Garki, Garki Village, Gishiri, Gwagwalape, Idu, Jabi, Kado Village, Karmo, Karshi, Karu, Katampe, Ketti Village, Kpaduma, Kabusa, Kpana Village, Kubwa, Lokogoma, Lugbe, Mabushi, Mpape, Nyanya and Piya Kasa.